Tuesday 24 November 2015

MENTOR-SHIP BLUES



To be honest with you, I am not sure I know what mentor-ship is about, I have never done this before, not like how it is really done. For a while now, I have said I want to mentor young people, boys and girls but I have never actually been mentored myself by anyone.

I have been thinking a lot about how the aspect of Mentor-ship has been missing in my life. For some odd reason, I have spoken of it and advised people to get a mentor themselves yet I had none. So I took a positive step and reached out to a couple of individuals I thought would help my professional, academic and everyday life, Mentor-ship wise.


After I made the very courageous step of emailing/speaking to three(3) people I admire greatly, I stumbled upon an article which made everything in my stomach turn! I kid you not, I felt sick and embarrassed.

I think I just made the common mistake that most people make when it comes to mentoring - I officially would like to bury myself in the sand now, thank you.


I will shortly share those common mistakes I learnt only today after I express how awkward my life has just become. I did nothing the article advised, I literally went in for the kill " be my mentor or else.." and now I want to retract all my emails *sigh*



I hope it is not too late for you too, lol. I do hope my prospective mentors do not feel pressured into a YES I will mentor you.. or worse, a NO. However, I do appreciate this blog  http://goinswriter.com/ for this article on finding a Mentor. Here goes;


Common misconceptions of mentoring
"I have a passion to see that change. There is a lot of misunderstanding about how mentoring works, including how to begin a relationship with a mentor. Here are some of them:
  • Mentoring is about me.
  • I need to wait for a mentor to find me.
  • Being mentored is more passive than active.
  • I need to ask someone to mentor me up-front.
Face it: Everything you know about mentoring may be wrong. It’s time to start seeking out a mentor the right way. In finding a mentor, there are 10 important steps I’ve found that usually work:
1. Find someone you want to be like
Don’t just find someone who has a job you want or a platform that you covet.
Find someone that is like you, someone with a similar set of strengths and skills you want to emulate. Otherwise, you’ll just end up frustrated.
Spend some time finding the right person. In fact, have several candidates before committing to a single mentor.
2. Study the person
Follow his blog. Get to know people who know him.
If you don’t know the person well, see if he is really like his public persona projects.
Make sure you understand his strengths and weaknesses. Set your expectations realistically.
3. Make the “ask”
Don’t ask for the person to “be your mentor” right off the bat. That’s a big ask. Far too big for the first meeting.
Rather, ask for an initial meeting — something informal, over coffee maybe. Keep it less than an hour.
Come with questions that you’re prepared to ask, but let the conversation flow relationally. (Note: the formality really depends on the potential mentor’s communication style — something you should be aware of before the initial meeting.)
When in doubt about when to make the ask, just go for it. (That’s what I do, and it usually works.)
4. Evaluate the fruit
After meeting, do you want to spend more time with this person?
Did she begin the meeting by encouraging you or telling you what to do? Did she ask questions, or wait to provide answers?
Did you leave the meeting feeling better about yourself? Was a connection made? If not, feel free to let the relationship go and seek out someone else, instead. You don’t have time to waste on a self-centered tyrant.
If it went well, then immediately put together a follow-up plan.
5. Follow up after the meeting
This is not like dating. It’s okay to appear overly ambitious. You want this person to know that you’re serious.
It’s appropriate to follow up immediately, thanking your prospective mentor for her time.
A good way to do this is via email or other form of passive communication, so that you don’t appear overbearing or waste the person’s time.
This is also a good time to mention that you’d like to do it again. If she reciprocates, offer to get something on the calendar. (You may need to suggest a time.)
Make sure that it feels relaxed and not contrived. You’re still vetting each other at this point.
6. Let the relationship evolve organically
We sometimes place too high of expectations on mentoring. We want to give it a name, because it gives us a sense of status and importance. But really it’s just a relationship.
Mentoring is organic. It’s healthy to let it grow like any other relationship — over time and based on mutual respect and trust.
Don’t force it. That will kill a potential mentoring relationship faster than anything. Give it time; it needs to grow.
7. Don’t check out when you feel challenged
I was recently speaking with a friend who’s mentored a number of young men over the years. He said the saddest part about what he does is that a lot of guys check out whenever he challenges them.
It will happen. You’ll get to a point where your mentor will feel comfortable enough to call you out. And what you do next is crucial to your growth.
Remember: this is what you signed up for. Don’t wimp out when it gets tough; this is where the really good stuff happens.
8. Press into relationship
Don’t wait for the mentor to initiate. Learn how to manage up. Persevere. Ask for more of your mentor without demanding it.
This doesn’t bother him (at least, it shouldn’t). It honors him. It shouldn’t be a big deal to ask this person to coffee or lunch, outside of your normal meeting time.
If a mentor can’t be a friend, then he’s probably not a mentor. Finding ways to solidify the bond you’ve created will only strengthen the relationship.
9. Ask your mentor for feedback
Feedback can be hard, but it’s good. As your relationship with your mentor progresses, this will be the #1 way you grow. It will be a highlight for the both of you.
While asking for feedback may initially feel weird, eventually it will become almost second-nature. You will find yourself thirsting for those words you used to fear.
Similarly, a good mentor will treat these times with great care and sensitivity.
10. Commit to the process
You can’t be mentored in a summer. That’s an internship. Mentoring takes real time and real work.
In order for it to be a real mentorship, you have to commit to the relationship. Come hell or high water, you’re going to make it work. Then, you will begin to understand what it means to be a student, a disciple, a protege"
I feel like a let down but do share how you went about getting a mentor, maybe i am not a complete failure. Or should i just wait on the emails to be returned?! #yikes.
I repeat, I hope its not too late for you - and if it is, apologise to the Prospective Mentor for being ignorant of the process. lol


3 comments:

  1. Hi Hi!
    So did you apologise?
    How was the response?

    I didn't have this information when my mentor and I met, but thankfully everything seemingly went on "by the book". Lol
    #LuckyMe
    This was a good read.
    Thanks
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies Dorica, I deserted my blog for a few years :( No to the apology and definitely No to her getting back to me - EVER. I was and still am very disappointed but I guess she wasn't for me. Met amazing coaches after though, I'm glad it didn't work out earlier. Hope all is blessed with you.

      Delete